hits counter

Friday, December 12, 2008

Is wired the new wi-fi?

j0400657Interesting article in the Chicago Sun-Times today about the advantages of returning to a wired home network, rather than using wi-fi to serve to growing number of Internet-connected devices and appliances we all seem to have proliferating around the house.

I use a mix of wired and unwired on my own system, and I can’t say that I notice a major speed difference from device to device. 

Wired:

  1. Office desktop
  2. Network storage
  3. Slingboxes

Unwired:

  1. Kitchen system (draft N)
  2. Tablet (draft N)
  3. Laptop (G)
  4. TiVo's (G)
  5. PDA phone (G)

After switching to a draft N router, I saw enough of a speed improvement that I can stream video with no drops or glitches (standard, not HD) among any of my devices, so I’m satisfied with wireless speed right now. 

Is it fast enough for HD?  Time will tell.

4 comments:

Howard Robson said...

The price of Powerline AV equipment is now at a level where it is close to Draft N wireless, so I think for HD streaming, it's coming into its own. Even with Draft N, you're still potentially contending with interference in the 2.4GHz frequency range.

Despite buying off-plan, the builder for our current house wouldn't allow me in to lay CAT5e throughout the house before the plasterboard went up. And trying to put it in now would eb a nightmare...

Kalnel said...

Hi Howard,

I've never been able to use powerline connections in my place. I've tried a few things, including Slingbox accessories that rely on powerline, but they don't work well for me.

(I have a feeling that being in a relatively old apartment building with lousy wiring may be part of the problem.)

Wire doesn't work particularly well in my place either. I have solid concrete ceilings and walls are a mix of plastic-on-poured-concrete and wallboard. When I need to run a wire, I can usually hide it pretty well using molding designed to hide wires, but it's a pain and it doesn't work well from room to room.

Just need to keep my fingers crossed that wi-fi will keep getting better...

kal

Anonymous said...

We've got 2 laptops and Tivo using wireless, plus VOIP with a wired connection to the router. The limitation for us is not the wireless, but the Time/Warner cable speed. To get better speed we'd have to spring for business-class DSL or similar. However, I still like wired connections. Like Howard, if home had cat5 I'd be using it.

Kalnel said...

My cable speed (Comcast) varies wildly from abysmal to awesome, so I feel your pain. My speed within my LAN is excellent, so I'm able to move files and stream video/music even without a live feed.

I keep thinking that 10 years ago, I was still using dial-up at 56K. I wonder if my present Comcast speed will look similarly slow 10 years from now.

kal