hits counter

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Another OneNote trick

I’ve found the OneNote Daily Journal PowerToy to be a great tool for taking notes on the fly.  It creates a daily notes page in OneNote  that you can reach through a mouse click or CTL-J from any program in Windows.

I use it as a catch-all for notes, web clippings, planning, reference info, and photos.  I even draft short projects on the daily notes page.  It’s especially convenient for those of us who shift among several computers all day, since everything is always in the same place (and synced).

Unfortunately, the CTL-J command works only on the computer that generated the page originally.  If I invoke CTL-J on one of my other systems, it creates its own page with the same date.

Since my main desktop system isn’t normally the first computer I use in the morning, this can be frustrating. If I create a daily page on one of my other computers, it renders the CTL-J command useless on the system where I use it most.

So, I came up with a workaround. Since I leave my main desktop running 24/7, I created a scheduled task that runs the powertoy at midnight every night and creates a daily page automatically.  My other systems sync automatically when I turn them on, so regardless of which system I use first, the daily page already exists. Then, when I go back to my main desktop, I can still use CTL-J all day.

Anyway, this isn’t exactly a huge technical breakthrough, but a small hassle avoided always counts.

2 comments:

Howard Robson said...

Sounds cool, and a parallel thinking way to solve the problem. My problem with ODJ now is that it doesn't run on W7 :(. No matter what I tried, compatibility mode etc., it just plain falls over.

I'll have to go back to the developer to see if there's anything can be done. I got him to resurrect the product page last time, so maybe there's hope...

Kalnel said...

I don't think it runs on Vista, either. (My main system is XP Pro, so it's not a problem for me.)

Before you invest too much time in fixing this version, you might wait a few weeks for Office 2010 to come out. With cloud sync and multiple folder syncing with Windows Mobile, I'm looking forward to switching soon, even without ODJ.