hits counter

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Back after a quick refresher...

Heading back to work after giving myself a few days off during the Thanksgiving break.  Well, almost "off"...

  • Computer shopping again...Looked at a couple of possible computers to get my mother for Christmas. (Browsed online, of course. Not a chance I'd go near a store during the Black Friday mayhem...)  I haven't found a better buy than the Acer I bought myself last month, so it looks like I'll be getting another. My plan is to get it, load it with the appropriate software, test it, and pre-load it with her files, which I'll snag remotely via Hamachi.  She'll have a computer ready to go, tested, and customized the way she likes it.  (Don't tell!)

 

  • TV shopping, too...I also looked at some of the super-cheap flat screen LCDs that are on sale for the holidays, since I'm thinking of getting a new set for the bedroom.  Haven't seen anything I'm ready to jump for yet, but looking at a few models gave me an idea:  I ought to think about getting a set that allows for a computer-in, as well as HD and other TV ports.  With relatively cheap computers available (including those with Media Center options), it might be worthwhile to consider getting a small CPU to stow in the bedroom.  It could replace my Tivo, act as a PVR, run Slingplayer, and extend access to my network, the Internet, and all my media files.   My Tivo already does a lot of that, but this definitely would extend my capability.

 

  • TV viewing...Speaking of Tivo, how did I live before I got one?  One of my big projects over the last few days has been forced rest -- no computer, no phone, no errands, no thinking, just vegging out on the couch.  As a result, I've caught up on about 10 weeks of fall shows that I had Tivo'd.  It was less than inspiring, but highly conducive to not thinking.  Best tech on TV:  NCIS and Criminal Minds.  I wish my computers ran that fast...

 

  • Slingbox online...Those placeshifting fiends at Sling have launched a new service that looks to me like a big winner: Sling.com, where anyone can watch shows (similar to Hulu) and where Sling users can view their home TVs through a web interface. This second feature is especially interesting -- essentially it puts placeshifting "in the cloud" without any software needed.  Previously, Sling users had to use Slingplayer software to watch their programming remotely.

 

  • New PDA phone...Last Wednesday, I bought Verizon's new HTC Touch Pro Windows Mobile phone. After five days of use and tweaking, I've got to say I'm unimpressed and frustrated.  Verizon has crippled the phone -- locked GPS to their fee-based service, removed Internet Connection Sharing, reduced RAM to half the levels of the AT&T and Sprint versions, etc. Very disappointing, because this has the potential to be a GREAT PDA phone, with a form factor smaller than the iPhone.  My hope is that the mad modders at PPCGeeks and XDA-Developers will have this puppy unlocked and re-ROM'ed in the next couple of weeks. If not, I have a decision to make before the 30-day return kicks in:  Do I return the phone and return to using my three-year-old PDA phone until a (hopefully) better choice comes out or live with it.  Watch for more details on modding a "phone for all seasons" over the next few days.

 

  • Cranking up the GTD machine again...After a mid-week holiday, I always feel a little confused about "what day it is," so I spent some time this afternoon doing a GTD review to get myself back in fighting trim for the week ahead. (Is it a "review" or a "preview?" Hard to tell sometimes...)  Nothing focuses me better, calms me down more, or reinvigorates my thinking more effectively than doing this.  Tomorrow morning when I sit down at my desk, I'll be able to get right into action: I've already figured out my next actions, loaded them onto my lists, and set myself up for getting stuff done.

 

  • And, a thought on goals...CNN founder, entrepreneurial genius, and all-around convention-buster Ted Turner was a guest on this morning's Meet the Press, where he offered some typically unconventional wisdom drawn from his new book.  He attributed his father's suicide to reaching his goals in life too easily:  "He set his goals too low, and he suggested to me that I don't do that.  Set goals high enough so they can't be achieved in your lifetime, then you'll always be motivated to keep working and keep engaged."    I love it -- totally sets all the talk of keeping goals "doable" on its ear.

 

I'm refreshed and ready for the new week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was inspired by your last post and almost posted a pic of my recent kitchen tech mod- the flat screen and stereo I had just put near the table that hooked to the netbook or laptop. With a $5 cable from the Five and under store or Radio shack I am able to play internet radio stations on the stereo (old from years ago) and/or watch netflix or youtube cooking videos while in the kitchen. A wireless keyboard will be added soon. I am surprised I beat you to the TV as a computer screen. I bought a largish (for the time, two years ago) flat screen TV from a friend who was moving, which happened to have a computer input. That is awesome, working just like the kitchen system, but in the family room. Only problem is the distance comfortable for watching shows is not the same as the distance needed for reading the screen, even a large screen. Moving the furniture forward and back is inconvenient, so it only gets used for video as a rule. Our Walmart had some large flat screen TV's left after BF that had computer hook up- I always check now. You might check your nearest one as I live pretty close to you. I think I need to workout a similar docking station- screen/speakers/wireless keyboard for the bedroom. Also have an older projector from Ebay- (wish I could remove and clean the lens) which functions similarly. Only drawback for me is the noise and energy expenditure- just seems wasteful to use it, but at my daughter's last teen party we used it with youtube videos to have a customized MTV in the background. My next thought is a custom mobile "throne"- with the screen on an arm thing, a shiatsu massage recliner and side table that somehow holds your mug and remotes and a vaporizer that shoots steam toward your face when you have a sinus headache or cold. (Allergies the bane of my life!) It is the $1-3000 recliner that is holding me back. ;) I too like moving about the house with computer access, finding different inspirations to GTD if I move to the kitchen or the chair looking out at the birdfeeder, etc.

Kalnel said...

Hi Caroline,

I like your spa chair idea! If we could add on one of those Judy Jetson deals that automatically comes down and does your hair in seconds, I'd buy it immediately! Maybe a remote to send the Roomba out for some more housework, too. (Gotta get one of those.)

Yes, you did indeed beat me to TV as computer screen! All my TVs are pretty old -- I've had the newest one for 16 years -- so only one has an SVGA input (much less digital). When I first got a laptop with a DVD player in it years ago -- before I got a standalone DVD player -- tried watching movies that way, but it was never particularly convenient.

(As much as I like new gadgets, I have a hard time justifying getting new TVs when these old ones still work pretty well. Hard to imagine that my life will be improved any by seeing the crap I watch "bigger.")

I have been using my stereo with my computer for years, though. I started converting all my CDs to WMA files in 2002, so my computer became my main "stereo" then. My old stereo receiver is hooked up to the computer where it basically acts as an amplifier for my speakers.

I was thinking that we're actually coming from opposite directions and arriving at the same place: I've been finding ways to turn my computer into a TV (with Slingbox, etc.), and you've been turning your TV into a computer. Eventually, we're both going to end up with screens attached to monitors that serve both purposes.

In fact, my bet is that everyone is going to end up with this eventually...

Anonymous said...

I have had the Roomba. It did leave one area cleaner than I ever normally do, but it had some downsides. It is great for a person who never leaves anything on the floor. I thought it might inspire me...HA! Otherwise you have to do a major Roomba room clearing- bobby pins, etc are not Roomba friendly, nor are shoes, paper, marbles, legos, etc. After you pick up all that it takes the Roomba quite a long time to meander it's way through that room. I sometimes couldn't wait and just vacuumed it myself. Also it has a tiny little dirt cup... so ideally you would set it up to run once a day to keep up if the house is well used. Otherwise you have to be on stand by to dump the dirt so it can continue. Lastly, the big one for me, is that it was too noisy, so it had to do it's work alone with the door shut. That was disappointing as watching it do the work while you are sitting at the computer screen, is much of the thrill. If you are a bit of a neat freak who doesn't mind noise, it might be well worth it. I got mine at Big Lots, refurbished. It worked fine for a year or more, but eventually contracted the 'circle of death dance"- an apparently common problem you can fix by dismantling it and cleaning the sensor. Detailed directions online. It and the directions are in the "someday maybe" project box along with another from a freecycler with the same problem.