hits counter

Monday, January 5, 2009

Goin’ digital (and HD)

The post-Christmas sale prices for electronics didn’t strike me as being all that good this year – especially in light of the sluggish retail sales – but I took the plunge anyway and picked up an HD, widescreen TV last week:  Samsung Series 5 32-inch 1080 LCD. 

Samsung TV

I had wanted to a new TV in my bedroom, and this sleek, unobtrusive, full HD set seemed to fit the bill without breaking the bank.

I hadn’t been especially gung-ho about going to HD TV, since switching basically makes my Tivos and Slingboxes all but obsolete.  But, after having this set for a few days – and watching HD broadcasts like the NHL Winter Classic on New Year’s Day – I was sold.  In fact, I went out the other day and picked up a second Samsung (same model), so I could watch HD without having to sit in the bedroom all the time.

I’m using the second Samsung as my main TV right now, but I can see already that I’m going to want to move that to my office and get a 46-inch as my primary viewing.

When I get some time to play, I also want to try hooking a computer to these sets.  Aside from the appeal of being able to use them as additional computer access, I’m thinking more and more that direct streaming from a PC may make more sense than media sharing through Tivo.

No comments: