hits counter

Friday, January 16, 2009

Will I ever hear, "Caps win, story at 11?"

This morning, Caps owner Ted Leonsis ran a piece on his blog urging a local radio sports host to program more Caps coverage.  Leonsis points out that the Caps have the highest level of "engagement" in the league right now, with strong attendance, a hit-magnet website, and TV ratings up 140% on Comcast alone.  (I'm telling you the HD thing is making it work!)

Leonsis makes a case that if local outlets will run more Caps coverage, fans will tune in.  I agree.  In fact, my bet is that one of the reasons the Caps' website gets so many hits is because fans can't find Caps info easily enough in the local media.  The other day, my Tivo cut off the end of a game that ran long, so I missed the outcome.  Rather than getting a little analysis -- or even a quick highlights reel -- the local 11 o'clock news relegated the Caps to a P.S. after post-season Redskins coverage, NFL playoffs, college basketball, NBA coverage, golf notes, and who-knows-what else. 

How can anyone follow the team when the best the local media does is "...and the Caps lost tonight in Montreal?" 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kalnel,
Amen to that. Local news doesn't care unless its the Redskins.

-Lee

Kalnel said...

Hi Lee,

That's for sure. As a Redskins fan, I don't mind during football season, but it drives me nuts when I want info about other sports.

kal