hits counter

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Paperless receipts

One of my goals is to merge my wallet and my Windows Mobile phone.  By converting things like pictures to digital and culling what I carry, I have a pretty light load already: driver’s license, insurance card, Amex, ATM/debit/Mastercard, building security card, and a little cash.

Technology exists to turn these remaining pieces into electronic “cards,” and, slowly, we’re seeing them become available.

But, I still end up collecting paper receipts as I buy things, which I remove from my wallet each day, scan, and toss. Although it only takes a few seconds, I’d love to be able to eliminate it.

Enter TransactionTree, a new service that allows consumers to choose whether they want paper or electronic receipts at the point of sale.  If they pick electronic, the clerk enters their email address and sends the receipt to them on the spot.

According to the developer, the system integrates with existing POS equipment, so it would require little or not additional investment by stores.

Sounds good to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, kal,

keith here. this is one of the things i love about the apple store: they will email you the receipt. brilliant. i don't have any paper receipts from the apple store and i save the .pdf in my receipts folder on the hard drive. LOVE it!

keith

Kalnel said...

Hi Keith --

Good for them! That's probably how they keep those Apple stores looking so pristine.

You'd think more retailers would do this. I imagine the savings they'd realize from not having to use paper/ink would pay for the software fairly quickly.

kal

Jeri Dansky said...

I just came over to mention the Apple Store - and I see Keith beat me to it. I too am very happy with how that works.

Kalnel said...

Jeri and Keith,

Does Apple give you any kind of verification on the spot? I'd want to be sure that I had received the e-receipt (or be able to go online and pull it down again) before I left the store.

It's easy to insert a typo in an email address, so I'd think that people would want to verify that the store has it right before they leave.

Personally, I'd also want to ensure that they couldn't use (or sell) my email for marketing purposes.

kal