hits counter

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

OneNote Multimedia Meeting

I took my Tablet PC along with me to a client meeting today to take some notes and provide ready access to the hundreds of pages of reference documents associated with the project we're working on.  As the meeting progressed, we started scribbling ideas on the white board in the room.  Although this particular white board is interactive with capture/printing capability, it wasn't hooked up, so we couldn't "replay" the ideas we put on the board.

Instead, I grabbed my HTC Touch Pro Windows Mobile phone and snapped pictures every few minutes to capture the thoughts.  As I did this, I put "tags" in my notes in OneNote to mark where I was in the discussion when I took a picture.  Later, I emailed myself the photos and dropped them into OneNote adjacent to the section of the notes they relate to.

Both my handwritten notes and the pictures are text "searchable" by OneNote.  It does a pretty good job with my writing (about 95% correct), but it had a tough time with the scribbles in the pictures.

Here's screenshot of part of my notes page from today.  (If parts look blurry or unreadable, that's because they are.  I've masked any identifying info from the picture.)

page clip_edited-1

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I take photos of my white board too, but I store them as jpegs in the client's file. Not everyone in my office has OneNote and I haven't tested it to see if Paperport reads it.

Kalnel said...

Hi Rita,

Do mean you want to have PaperPort transcribe the handwriting? I'm pretty certain it can't.

You could drop the pictures into a Word or Excel document, though. I do this with the donation receipts I get at Goodwill. When I get home from dropping stuff off, I scan the receipt and insert it into a spreadsheet listing the items I've donated.

kal